Shade Tolerant Perennials
When creating a garden or outdoor oasis, it is important to learn about the flowers and plants you are using. Creating your landscaping can take a lot of time and money, and it is something you will want to last – especially when talking about perennials. Here in upstate New York, we have plenty of shade from trees and bushes. If your yard doesn’t have plenty of sunlight, you will want to read through the list below of shade tolerant plants. Then come visit Toadflax Nursery and you will find many of these plants that will work perfectly in your outdoor setting.
- King of Hearts/Bleeding Heart
- Lady in Red Fern
- Siberian Cypress
- American Maidenhair Fern
- Aphrodite Plantain Lily
- Auslese Lady’s Mantle
- Creeping Wintergreen
- Diamond Tiara Plantain Lily
- Cameo Series Blue and White Columbine/Rose and While Columbine
- Ginko Craig Plantain Lily
- Christmas Tree Plantain Lily
- Astilbe ‘Fanal’ – The feathery foliage of this Astilbe emerges red in the spring and fades to green. Zones 3-9.
- Brunnera ‘Emerald Mist’ – Bulgloss – Its large heart-shaped leaves are pattered with white spots. The foliage is complimented by baby blue forget-me-not flowers March through May. Zones 4-9.
- Cimicifuga racemosa ‘Brunette’ (Actea) – Bugbane – Sultry, dark foliage with feathery, pink buds that explode into white fragrant flower spikes stalks in fall. Zones 3-9.